The Commission carries out functions under both the Human Rights Act 2019 and the Anti-Discrimination Act 1991.
Human Rights Act 2019
In February 2019 the Queensland Parliament passed the Human Rights Act. It lists 23 rights to be protected by law, places obligations on public entities to act compatibly with human rights, and provides for a complaint resolution process through the Commission.
- Human Rights Act 2019
- Second Reading Speech for the Human Rights Bill 2018 as PDF from Hansard, 26 February 2019, pages 353 and 376-379.
- Explanatory Notes for the Human Rights Bill 2018
- Table: Rights protected by the Human Rights Act and corresponding sections in international law and the Victorian Charter (PDF File, 765.3 KB)
- Fact sheet: Discrimination under the Human Rights Act 2019 (PDF File, 905.5 KB)
Anti-Discrimination Act 1991
In 1991 the Queensland Parliament passed the Anti-Discrimination Act which aims to protect people in Queensland from unfair discrimination, sexual harassment and other objectionable conduct and provides a means to bring a complaint and have it resolved.
- Anti-Discrimination Act 1991
- Second Reading Speech for the Anti-Discrimination Bill 1991 as a PDF file from Hansard, 26 November 1991, pages 3193 to 3197.
August 2013: The Act was amended to expand the grounds on which the Commissioner may reject or lapse complaints dealt with elsewhere, and to provide a cooling off period for withdrawal of a complaint.
Referral to tribunal
Matters brought under the Anti-Discrimination Act not resolved at the Commission may be referred to a tribunal for hearing and determination.
Queensland Industrial Relations Commission
The Queensland Industrial Relations Commission deals with work-related complaints.
- Industrial Relations Act 2016
- Second Reading Speech for the Industrial Relations Bill 2016 (PDF File, 72.4 KB) from Hansard, 29 November 2016, pages 4661 to 4665.
Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal
The Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal deals with all other complaints.
- Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 2009
- Second Reading Speech for the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal Bill 2009 from Hansard, 19 May 2009, pages 351 to 354.